Thursday, August 27, 2015

August 2015 Daring Bakers' Challenge: Seed and Nut Loaf


This month, we Daring Bakers were challenged to make a gluten-free nut and seed bread. To be brutally honest, this challenge didn't grab me for one reason: I'm not a "nuts in my baked goods" kind of person. Give me a handful of nuts to snack on any day, but please don't put them in my cookies, breads, or brownies. For me, it is purely a texture thing. Nothing more, nothing less.

That said, I decided to keep an open mind and give this challenge a go. I hit Central Market's bulk food section and loaded up on seeds and nuts galore ... I even grabbed some dried cherries (they didn't help). Once again, not the best baking project for a "leave the nuts out" kind of person like me. I included pumpkin seeds, flax seeds (which mostly wound up on my car floor due to a child "helper" holding onto the bags for the drive home), mixed nuts (cashews, walnuts, etc.), as well as almonds. I researched some methods online, but it still just didn't make my tastebuds dance. Some other bakers said they liked their creations more toasted ... didn't help in my opinion. In fact, I think I preferred it untoasted more than toasted. Nuts have their place, just not in my bread. Oh well... still a fun challenge and a great opportunity to break out of my standard baking mold!




For the August challenge Susan from The Kiwi Cook dared us to make Seed & Nut Loaf – a super-healthy and gluten-free alternative to standard wheat-based bread.

No comments: